Monday, October 25, 2010

Being the bigger person

Let's ask ourselves this question.... when do we stand up and be the bigger person??? No matter what the scenerio is, big or small...when do WE make that choice for ourselves? Well, my friends...I have done that. And I am sooooo proud of myself! It is truly a great feeling when you do the right thing.




Here is the deal...after finding out about my daughter being hurt by another child, it changed many aspects of life as we knew it. I now trust no one. I know this. My kids know this. My family knows this. Everyone knows this. It is what it is and this will not change. When you have children, you have a fear for people hurting your children (pedophiles) who are adults...you never fear another child for christ sake. Well, after all has been said and done, naturally...those who have done wrong are very quick to try to defend themselves. Tell lies. This exact thing has happened in our situation. People/neighbors which we have been friends with for quite some time oddly backed off. There were looks. There were whispers. It was awful. I knew I did not say anything to anyone about the situation - I wanted to protect my daughter and her privacy...our privacy as a family. BUT...this other mom, decided it would be a dandy idea to tell others what happened. Not such a spiffy idea in my mind.



Well, about two weekends ago...it all came to a head. People (adults) were not very nice to my daughter(s)...or to me. It was insane. Well, it was time to confront a few of those very immature, misinformed people. There were tears (of course on my part) as I still refused to give details about the events that happened (which I walked in on) but basically told them they were so wrong and misinformed about what was going on. Making them see that they are (or should be) adults and my daughter is 6...SIX!!!!!!! She was a victim. She did nothing wrong. I could not protect her now but I'll be damned if someone thinks even for a second that I won't protect my daughter(s) now. I did not know how things were going to be after that weekend.



Well, this past weekend, I took a stand once again but in a very possitive manner - mature fashion. There was a birthday party for another neighborhood kid. I looked at Tex and said "come on...let's go...let's do it". He looked at me in shock and said "okay, as long as you are comfortabe, I will be there with you" ( I so love this man...he is always by my side and always supports me ) I took a deep breath (put on a little lip gloss) and just walked over to the neighbors house and said hi. I was nervous. I wanted to vomit. My tummy hurt. :-o I was shaking. My heart was racing. I was soooo out of my comfort zone. No one outside responded... I went inside, I tried it again. I dislike conflict very much and did not want any issues. I was not there to cause problems. I was there for a friend and her sons birthday party. I came back outside and chit chatted for a bit with Tex and another neighbor. Anyway...it was like a switch was flipped. All of a sudden, that day - things felt okay. I felt okay. We were no longer shut out. Tex has not really been shut out regardless because these are his neighbors. But my daughters and I were no longer on the outside. WHEW! I initiated conversation. I acted as though things were okay. Normal. Next thing we know, we are invited to another neighbors house that evening. HUH??? ; ) This was a huge shock for me and for him.



I finally feel like I can let go of a little stress - my kids would feel that. They knew. They can finally start to be kids again. Play. Run. Laugh. Of course I am still VERY protective of them and that will not change but I can at least start to not be so up tight. My advice to you all...be the bigger person. What do you have to lose? Nothing. You have everything to gain. Pride in yourself. You would be amazed as to how this can make you feel. It is all about attitude.

Keep Calm and Carry On.... ;)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome to hear that you are being so mature about this. I think all of us would struggle with that if placed in a similar situation, but you are modeling great behavior for your children. I have so much respect for you because of that. Instead of choosing to play the victim card, you are getting help for your daughter and making sure others don't treat your family like you've done something wrong. Good for you! I hope things will continue to get better for you!

    Also, I really hope your daughter is doing ok in all this. I'm sure you're making sure of that, but I feel so awful for her. It's not fair that she had to learn about the harsh grown-up world so early in her life. Hugs and prayers for your family!

    ReplyDelete