Thursday, October 21, 2010

Therapy...

Therapy. Hmmm. This can be a very sensitive topic to many people. I don't see having to goto a "therapist" or a "counselor" a bad thing, it is just a very difficult step to take. First off, during my divorce I went to a counselor/therapist (whatever you want to call it) and had a wonderful experience. I remember walking into her office and not knowing what to expect. It was quiet, it was welcoming, calm music was playing. Not the dreaded elevator kind but more like Enya type. Very soothing to the soul. The lights were dim. It smelled nice. I was comfortable. I was calm. Well, therapy went very good for me at that time. I had great feeling about it. It helped me. I would go back...but she does not work with children (damn).

Wellllllllllll.....yesterday was a completely different story. Let me paint this picture for you. I pull up to this building and could not figure out where I needed to go. It was in a older part of this town we were in so it seemed a little run down and old. Not dangerous...just OLD. This womans daughter has a holistic shop downstairs but there was no direction as to where WE should be going. The door was open. We walked in. We were in the holistic shop. It was quiet. No one was there. There was a staircase...I started to walk up the stairs... My kids were scared. They wanted to leave. We proceeded up the stairs and saw there was a clipboard on the table with all of my daughters information on it. I grabbed it. Filled it out. Waited. OMG! It was as though I had traveled back in time - it was the 70's!!!! Anyway, out walked a teenager with this woman. She said "hi" and walked into another room. We waited. She came back out and looked at my information. She asked that my youngest and I step into another room but my oldest (who is only 8yrs old) had to wait by herself in this other area. OMG!!!! In a nut shell...this therapist spilled her tea all over the office floor - TWICE (for all I know, it was whiskey and coke) lol - she would not let my youngest goto the restroom and told her that she needed to do that before therapy...not during, she had me talk about the issue at hand right infront of my little girl. It was hard. I cried. To see my little girl sitting there, with her eyes held tightly closed, her fingers in her ears - it tore me apart. I did not feel as though we needed to go over what she experienced right infront of her. UGH! She was not at all what I expected.

I feel like I am back at square one and don't know where to turn.... (breathe) I believe I need to continue to search for the right therapist for us because I can assure you that this old building with a musty smell is NOT somewhere that we belong. Not at all...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry that you had such an awful experience. I can't even begin to imagine what your family is going through right now and this particular woman does not sound like she will be the one to help. Can you see if the therapist you saw after your divorce will recommend someone that works with children? It seems like there have to be better options for you. Your daughter deserves an experience like you had at your first therapist. She needs to feel safe and secure or the therapy will just be a waste of time. Good luck to you! I'm thinking of you and hope you will find a better place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe,find another one. After studying psych, I've learned that there are some amazing ones out there, and there are some kooks. I agree w/ the first comment...get a recommendation from a good therapist. She'll know someone who's really good. Don't go back to a place that feels unsafe, either physically or emotionally.

    ReplyDelete